Skip to content
Arthur W. Frey
- Name: Arthur W. Frey
- Location of Birth: Third River Township, Itasca County, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: September 2, 1919
- Date of Death: March 1, 1993 (73 years old)
- Parents: Otto Frey and Fannie Hall
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank: PFC (Private First Class)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: March 6, 1942
- Place Sworn In: Fort Snelling, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Date of Discharge: November 18, 1945
- Place of Discharge: Separation Center at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin
- Military Awards:
Asiatic Pacific Theater Service Medal
Philippine Liberation Army
Overseas Service Bars - 6
- Military Highlights:
Served with the 101st Signal Battalion - HQ Company as a field lineman in the Pacific area. Laid ground wire, strung telephone lines in all types of terrain including mountains, swamps, jungle, etc. Did trouble shooting and repair of shorts and breaks.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Art moved to Grand Rapids in 1947 and was a 36 year employee of Bell Telephone, working as an equipment man, retiring in 1981.
He was united in married to M. Kathryn McAlpine in Grand Rapids, Minnesota in 1948. He had served for many years as a Boy Scout leader and was active in Showboat. He also served as a volunteer with the Itasca County Food Shelf. He was a member of the Telephone Pioneers, National Rifle Association, Ducks Unlimited, Minnesota Deer Hunters Association and the Fraternal Orders of Eagles.
Art is survived by his wife, M. Kathryn "Katie"; one daughter, Jacqueline Sather; three sons, James, Robert, and William; three sisters, Ruth Christenson, Florence Herrick, and Grace Algers; one brother, Ralph; and six grandchildren.
Buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-G-23-22)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):