Skip to content
Asa "Ace" James French
- Name: Asa "Ace" James French
- Location of Birth: Brainerd, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: July 2, 1929
- Date of Death: February 27, 1996 (66 years old)
- Parents: Asa French and Melissa (Evans) French
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Air Force
- Other Branch: United States Army
- Date Sworn In: October 22, 1948 (Enlistment Date #1)
November 20, 1953 (Enlistment Date #2)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge: June 5, 1952 (Release Date #1)
October 18, 1954 (Release Date #2)
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Ace was a longtime Iron Range resident.
He was a surveyor and construction worker. He also worked for Sunny Hill Distributors and had a rural delivery route for the Duluth News-Tribune in the Nashwauk, Minnesota area.
Ace was a member of VFW Post 5516 and American Legion Post 452, both of Keewatin, Minnesota. A past member of the Musicians Union, he entertained across the Range with his dance band, "The Stardusters".
On June 20, 1953, he married Beverly Byington in Pepin, Wisconsin. They moved to the Hibbing, Minnesota area in 1955, and lived in the Kelly Lake area for 30 years.
Ace is survived by his wife, Beverly; two sons, Terry and Tomper; five daughters, Jackie French, Sue Quitberg, Shelly Olson, Clare Johnson, and Jennifer French; two sisters, Leona Dillon and Mayme Anderson; sixteen grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
He was a resident of Golden Crest Nursing Home for the past two months. Ace died at the University Medical Center-Mesabi in Hibbing, Minnesota. He was cremated.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):