Skip to content
David "Dave" Anthony Fairbanks
- Name: David "Dave" Anthony Fairbanks
- Location of Birth: Cass Lake, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: October 19, 1957
- Date of Death: August 7, 2000 (42 years old)
- Parents: Benjamin LeRoy Fairbanks and Carole Jean (Michaelson) Fairbanks
- High School and Class: 1976 - Cass Lake-Bemidji High School
- Highest Rank: PFC (Private First Class)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch: Army National Guard
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: 1984
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Dave enlisted in the National Guard and Army Reserve until 1980, when he went into active duty serving in the United States Army until being honorably discharged in 1984.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Dave returned to Minnesota, where he resided in Minneapolis, Minnesota doing custodial work. He returned to the Leech Lake area in the early 1990s. Dave worked for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe doing a variety of services--most recently serving as a chemical dependency technician. He was a talented artist who enjoyed working with birch bark crafts.
Dave is survived by his children, Brandon and Maria; his parents, Carole (Cliff) Benjamin and Benjamin Fairbanks; his brother, Robert; his sister, Elizabeth LeDoux, Marlene Donnelly, Scott Fairbanks, Shirley Fairbanks, Dawn Benjamin, Cliff Benjamin, Jr., Tracey Benjamin, Richard Benjamin; his former companion, Karen Wittner; several nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and other relatives.
Dave died in Cass Lake, Minnesota and is buried in the Fairbanks Cemetery at Deer River, Minnesota.
- Tribal Affiliation(s): Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe