Skip to content
Donald Gilbert McLean
- Name: Donald Gilbert McLean
- Location of Birth: Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: November 21, 1921
- Date of Death: April 25, 1994 (72 years old)
- Parents: Frederick McLean and Violet (Staley) McLean
- High School and Class: Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: MM 2 (Machinist's Mate 2nd Class Petty Officer)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Don grew up in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, attended Wendigo School, and graduated from Grand Rapids High School.
He was married to Nellie Rasmussen on February 7, 1942.
Following his discharge from the service, he farmed in the Wendigo and Trout Lake areas of Grand Rapids, Minnesota until 1959. He then worked many years for Independent School District #318 until his retirement. He also worked as a school bus driver for many years.
He was a member of Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Cohasset, Minnesota and was a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Disabled American Veterans in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
Preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Archie; and two sisters, Evelyn Bishop and an infant sister.
Don is survived by his wife, Nellie; two daughters, Donna Jeskewitz and Joanne Broking; one son, Dan; one brother, Elmer; eight grandchildren and one great-grandson.
Don died at the Veterans Hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota and is buried in Harris Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot 184.108.40.206)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):