Skip to content
Edmund Robert “Bob” Bentz
- Name: Edmund Robert "Bob" Bentz
- Location of Birth: Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: October 1, 1918
- Date of Death: September 9, 1986 (67 years old)
- High School and Class: 1936 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- College: Itasca Junior College, Coleraine, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: 1ST LT (First Lieutenant)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch: Army Air Corps
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Bob was an Army Air Force pilot and veteran of World War II. He survived the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor and was determined never to feel that helpless again. He joined the Army Air Corp and after training was soon flying bombing missions in the European Theatre.
- Wars Involved:
World War II - European Theatre
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Bob returned to Grand Rapids, Minnesota following the war. He entered business with his brother-in-law in the Bentz Oil Company and assumed ownership in 1948. He retired in 1985.
He married Vera Schimanski in Grand Rapids, Minnesota on March 19, 1948. He was a member of the Community Presbyterian Church, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1720, American Legion Post 60, Moose Lodge 2027, all in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and was a former director of Northwest Petroleum.
Survivors are his wife, Vera; a son, Robert; a daughter, Vickie Casper; brothers, Dr. Byron Bentz and Dr. Herman Bentz; sisters, Irene Seaton and Beulah Cady; a stepsister, Carolyn Mendesh; and two grandchildren.
Buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-B-02-18)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):