Skip to content
Ernest Gordon Erspamer
- Name: Ernest Gordon Erspamer
- Location of Birth: Hurley, Wisconsin
- Date of Birth: March 21, 1923
- Date of Death: December 13, 1980 (57 years old)
- Parents: ? and Nell M. Erspamer
- High School and Class: attended schools in Hurley, WIsconsn
- College: 1944 - University of Wisconsin with a degree in metalurgical engineering.
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Ernest served with the United States Navy in the Asiatic and Pacific theaters in World War II and had been active with the Reserves of the Navy and Coast Guard, serving as commander of the reserve unit.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Ernest attended schools in Hurley, Wisconsin.
The family came to Grand Rapids, Minnesota in 1963 after seven years in Duluth, Minnesota.
Ernest was employed at the United States Steel Research laboratory at Coleraine, Minnesota.
Survivors are his wife, the former Jean McDonel, whom he married at Montreal, Wisconsin on July 4, 1950; eight sons, Daniel, David, Gordon, Michael, Paul, Peter, Roy, and Martin; three grandsons; three brothers, Donald, Thomas, and James; and his mother, Nell M. Erspamer.
Ernest died at Itasca Memorial Hospital in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. He was buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. The grave is not marked. The remains were possibly moved to a Wisconsin cemetery. (Plot C-B-31-08)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):