Skip to content
- Name: George Skorich
- Location of Birth: Taconite, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: May 6, 1914
- Date of Death: March 28, 2001 (86 years old)
- Parents: Milan "Mike" Skorich and Boja (Koruga) Skorich
- High School and Class: 1933 - Greenway High School, Coleraine, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: PFC (Private First Class)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: May 17, 1944 (enlistment date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: May 13, 1946 (release date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Served with the United States Army in the European and Pacific Theaters.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
George grew up in Taconite and White City, Minnesota. Following World War II, he lived most of his life in Calumet, Minnesota.
He had worked in mines in Arizona and Greenland and following World War II worked for J & L Mining Company, retiring in 1971.
George and Linda Riikkola were married November 6, 1960, in Chisholm, Minnesota. He was a former member of St. Basil's Serbian Orthodox Church of Chisholm, Minnesota, had served on the Calumet City Council and was a member of Marinoff-Miskovich VFW Post 8831 of Pengilly, Minnesota.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Mike and Boja Skorich; sisters Anna Skorich, Mary Mandich, and Angeline Wohlsdorf; brothers Joe, John, Milan and Rody Skorich.
Survivors include his wife, Linda; a son, David (Delores) Koivisto; daughters Karen (Philip) Sigfrinius and Mary (Daniel) Strand; ten grandchildren; thirteen great-grandchildren; and a sister, Marie (Bill) Carmichael.
Buried in Lakeview Cemetery at Coleraine, Minnesota. (Serbian Section)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):