Skip to content
Gerald "Jerry" Thomas Ylitalo
- Name: Gerald "Jerry" Thomas Ylitalo
- Location of Birth: Duluth, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: 1939
- Date of Death: March 26, 2017 (77 years old)
- Parents: Sulo and Helen Ylitalo
- High School and Class: Greenway High School, Coleraine, Minnesota
- College: University of Minnesota-Duluth, Duluth, Minnesota, with a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration.
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
After graduating from Greenway High School, Coleraine, Minnesota, Jerry enlisted in the United States Navy.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Jerry grew up in Bovey, Minnesota.
Jerry met his wife, Jane, while skiing and they were married in 1963.
After moving to Grand Rapids, Minnesota, Jerry was the owner and operator of the Itasca Oil Company for many years.
He was a member of the Masons and rode motorcycles in parades with the Shriners Cycle Patrol. Jerry loved golf, curling, skiing, and deer hunting, was an avid reader, and tackled the New York Times Crossword puzzle daily.
He is preceded in death by his parents and his brother, Robert.
Jerry leaves behind his wife of 53 years, Jane (Lund) Ylitalo; his daughter, Kirsten (Jerry) Campos; sons, David (Caroline) and Robert (MaryAnn); brother, Warren; sister, Judith Robuck; four grandchildren; and one great granddaughter.
Gerald died at St. Luke's Hospital in Duluth, Minnesota following a brief illness.
Per Gerald's request, private services were held.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):