Skip to content
Hartley Emerson Foss
- Name: Hartley Emerson Foss
- Location of Birth: Virginia, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: November 2, 1920
- Date of Death: October 28, 1991 (70 years old)
- High School and Class: Mountain Iron High School, Mountain Iron, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: 1ST LT (First Lieutenant)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: February 15, 1942 (Registration Date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Hartley served in the United States Army during World War II in Europe.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Hartley grew up and attended schools at Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Cook, and Mountain Iron where he graduated from high school.
He married Olga M. Verbick on September 5, 1942.
Following his discharge, Hartley lived in Virginia, Minnesota until coming to Grand Rapids, Minnesota in 1950.
He had worked 24 years with the Minnesota Highway Department and then worked as an engineer with several construction firms in the area, retiring in 1986.
He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the American Legion, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, all of Grand Rapids.
Preceded in death by his brother, Rodney, surviving relatives include his wife, Olga; daughters Sandra Showalter and Kristi Ann Vesall; sons, James and Kevin; brother, Marvin; seven grandchildren and one great-grandson.
Hartley died in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-G-23-24)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):