Skip to content
Herbert Anthony Gravelle
- Name: Herbert Anthony Gravelle
- Location of Birth: East Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Date of Birth: June 13, 1895
- Date of Death: April 5, 1966 (70 years old)
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank: PFC (Private First Class)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: May 27, 1918 (Enlistment Date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: May 27, 1919 (Discharge Date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Herbert served in the United States Army in France in World War I. He was with the 163 Depot Brigade.
- Wars Involved:
World War I
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Herbert was a pioneer Grand Rapids, Minnesota resident. He came to Grand Rapids in 1898.
Herbert worked as a locomotive fireman in iron mines for many years and was engineer at Itasca Memorial Hospital from 1953-1960.
He married Ruth Clafton in Grand Rapids in 1925.
Herbert was preceded in death by a son, Norman Herbert Gravelle who died in 1961.
Survivors are his wife; two daughters, Mrs. Erwin Howell and Mrs. Verna Oberg; nine grandchildren; five brothers, John, Richard, Emil, Manuel, and Abraham; and seven sisters, Mrs. Lynn Boardman, Mrs. Elroy Schaeve, Mrs. Delmar Pion, Mrs. Fred Lorre, Mrs. Harold Kelly, Mrs. Charles Cote, and Mrs. John Adlesick.
Herbert died at his home and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-F-10-08)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):