Skip to content
Howard Leroy Hoard
- Name: Howard Leroy Hoard
- Location of Birth: Cohasset, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: February 3, 1925
- Date of Death: September 16, 1996 (71 years old)
- Parents: Peter A. Hoard and Nettie (Davis) Hoard
- High School and Class: 1943 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: February 1, 1943 (enlistment date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: February 28, 1946 (release date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Howard was a United States Navy veteran among the first wave at Normandy and later served in the South Pacific.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Howard grew up in Cohasset, Minnesota. He married Betty Perkins on September 18, 1946, in Cohasset, Minnesota. The couple made their home in Cohasset where he worked at United States Steel.
In 1961, the couple moved to Babbitt, Minnesota, where he was employed by the Reserve Mining Company as a jet driller until his retirement in 1984. He was employed in the mining industry for over 36 years. He also owned and operated Hoard Construction Company.
Howard was a member of the VFW Legion Post 1539, the American Legion Post 535, the Senior Citizens Center, all of Babbitt, Minnesota; and the United Steel Workers Union Local No. 4757.
Preceded in death by his twin brother, Harold in 1982 and a brother, Clarence, in 1943, he is survived by his wife, Betty; two sons, Howard Michael and Gerald; three daughters, Linda Quance, Patricia Johnson, and Rebecca Constant; three sisters, Glenice Flug, Verna Mae Gravelle, and Virginia Ploof; sixteen grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):