Skip to content
James Daniel Doran
- Name: James Daniel Doran
- Location of Birth: Northport, Wisconsin *
- Date of Birth: April 30, 1878
- Date of Death: May 26, 1962 (85 years old)
- Parents: Daniel W. and Katherine Doran
- High School and Class: attended school in Superior, Wisconsin
- College: Received his law degree from the University of Minnesota
- Highest Rank:
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
Spanish American War
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
James moved to Aitkin, Minnesota and then to Grand Rapids, Minnesota when he was 14 years old with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Doran, first owners of the Pokegama Hotel.
James was married to Katherine Connell, a Grand Rapids, Minnesota school teacher, who preceded him in death several years ago.
James practiced law in Grand Rapids, Minnesota with the late C. C. McCarthy. He served for many years on the local school board.
The family left Grand Rapids in 1925, moving to Duluth, Minnesota and Texas before going to Ajo, Arizona.
Survivors include his six sons, David, Daniel, James, John, William, and Theodore; three brothers, Charles, Allen, and Clem; three sisters, Mrs. Sidney Blackmore, Mrs. Mary Ehle, and Miss Loretta Doran; and eighteen grandchildren.
James died at the home of his son, Theodore, in Phoenix, Arizona. Services were conducted by his son, Father John Doran and interment was in Holy Hope Cemetery and Mausoleum in Tucson, Arizona. (Block F)
* There is a discrepancy in where James was born--some information indicates he was born in Northport, Wisconsin and other indicates he was born in Swift County in the vicinity of Benson, Minnesota. Also, the number of grandchildren is either 18 or 24.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):