Skip to content
John "Jack" Dennis Buckley
- Name: John "Jack" Dennis Buckley
- Location of Birth: Albert Lea, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: December 30, 1928
- Date of Death: October 8, 1991 (61 years old)
- Parents: Leo Buckley and Eldora (Krahnke) Buckley
- High School and Class: Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- College: Bemidji State College, Bemidji, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: CPL (Corporal)
- Branch: Marine Corp
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: June 7, 1946 (Enlistment Date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: January 22, 1948 (Discharge Date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
He was raised in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. After high school, he joined the United States Marine Corps and while in the Marines played football.
He then attended Bemidji State College where he earned his master's degree in special education and also received the Glen Calligan Award which is given to the outstanding football player. He is a member of Bemidji State's Athletic Hall of Fame.
He taught at Eagle Bend, Minnesota, Fergus Falls, Minnesota, and Redlands, California. He then was principal at Owatonna State School in Owatonna Minnesota. He left teaching in 1969.
After returning to Grand Rapids in 1969, he operated the Milk House for three years and then went to work for the Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency in 1974. He retired in 1976.
Jack was very active in youth athletics in Grand Rapids as a coach. He was a member of the Grand Rapids Sports Boosters, the Ponti-Petersen American Legion Post, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, all of Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
Surviving relatives include his wife, Kathy; daughter, Kelly Jean; son, Jack "Jacko"; sisters, Leolyn Vik, Ruth Ann Bay, and Carole Zbreski; and brothers, Patrick and Dennis.
Buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-F-29-0-7)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):