Skip to content
- Name: Joseph Shipka
- Location of Birth: Carson Lake, Minnesota (near Hibbing/Kelly Lake area)
- Date of Birth: January 15, 1925
- Date of Death: January 1, 2000 (74 years old)
- Parents: Trivo Shipka and Martha (Lukich) Shipka
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank: RM 2 (Radioman Petty Officer 2nd Class)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: July 1, 1943
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: April 7, 1946
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Boot camp was at Farragut Naval Training Station in Farragut, Idaho on Lake Pend Oreille between Coeur d'alene and Sandpoint.
Served on the USS Hampton (APA-115). The USS Hampton (APA-115) was a Bayfield-class attack transport that served with the United States Navy during World War II.
Joseph went to Hawaii, Guam, and Honshu, Japan.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Joseph had been a maintenance mechanic at M.A. Hanna Mining Company for 44 years. He was a member of St. Archangel Michael Orthodox Church in Hibbing, Minnesota, VFW Post 8831 in Pengilly, Minnesota, and American Legion Post 307 in Nashwauk, Minnesota.
Joseph is survived by his wife, Judy; sons, Joe, Jr. (Lorie), John, and Jim (Susana); brothers, Mike (Barbara) and Sam (Lona); sisters, Daisy Budrow, Millie (Merlin) Vangen, and Olga Rogers; and nine grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; and a sister, Danica Shipka.
Buried in Nashwauk Cemetery at Nashwauk, Minnesota.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):