- Name: Larry Emmett Curtiss
- Location of Birth: Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: July 14, 1952
- Date of Death:
- Parents: Bert and Joan Curtiss
- High School and Class: 1971 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: Petty Officer - 2nd Class
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: March 2, 1972
- Place Sworn In: Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Date of Discharge: October 15, 1976
- Place of Discharge: San Diego, California
Units and Locations:
Start Date End Date Unit(s) and Location(s) Served March, 1972 May, 1972 Recruit Training Command - Great Lakes, Illinois June, 1972 November, 1972 Hull Technician "C" School - Sand Diego, California November, 1972 October, 1976 USS Dixon (AS37)- San Diego, California
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
I was stationed aboard the USS Dixon for over 3 years. The Dixon was a submarine tender. We repaired and resupplied submarines in port and at sea. I was a Hull Technician. We went to school for damage control, plumbing, carpentry, sheet metal work, metal fabrication and repair, as well as metallurgy.
While stationed abroad the Dixon, we seldom were at sea as most of our time was at the submarine base in San Diego.
We carried many torpedoes armed with nuclear warheads. It was said that if we were attacked and our arsenal was hit, then Southern California would no longer exist.
We also had the only decompression chamber south of Los Angeles. Many civilian divers were decompressed aboard the DIxon.
I carried a high security clearance as we also stood watch over the nukes and their armament procedures.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
- Tribal Affiliation(s):