Larry Wayne Korth

Army Badge
  • Name: Larry Wayne Korth
  • Location of Birth: Norfolk, Nebraska
  • Date of Birth: May 1, 1950
  • Date of Death:
  • Parents: Walleen Korth and Marcella (Hallan) Korth
  • High School and Class: 1968 - Norfolk Senior High School, Norfolk, Nebraska
  • College: 1984-1986 - Hibbing VoTech, Hibbing, Minnesota (construction, maintenance)
  • Highest Rank: E-4
  • Branch: Army
  • Other Branch:
  • Date Sworn In: February 25, 1969
  • Place Sworn In: Omaha, Nebraska
  • Date of Discharge: February 24, 1971
  • Place of Discharge: Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
  • Units and Locations:
    Start Date End Date Unit(s) and Location(s) Served
    February, 1969 May, 1969 Fort Ord, California
    May, 1969 June, 1969 Fort Sill, Oklahoma
    July, 1969 July, 1970 101st Airborne at Pui-Bit-Hue, Vietnam
    August, 1970 February, 1971 2nd Battalion, 36th Artillery, 4th Division of the United States Army at Fort Sill, Oklahoma
  • Military Awards:
    Bronze Star
    Army Commendation Medal
    Army Commendation Medal with V Device
    ( "V" Device distinguishes an award for heroism or valor in combat)
    Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm Ribbon
    Vietnam Campaign with PFE
    Vietnam Service Medal with 2 Bronze Stars
    National Defense Service Medal
    50th Anniversary Vietnam Medal
    101st Airborne Honorary Air Assault Badge
    Sharpshooter Badge with Rifle Badge

  • Military Highlights:
    I was working at a grocery store in town. All my friends were being drafted. So around December, 1968 or January, 1969, I went and volunteered for the draft. I left Norfolk by Greyhound Bus on the evening of February 24, 1969 for Omaha, Nebraska. I was sworn in the next day and was flown to Fort Ord, California for eight weeks of Infantry Basic Training. After graduation, I was sent to Fort Sill, Oklahoma for eight weeks of Heavy Artillery Training. I then went home for thirty days and went to Oakland, California where I landed in South Vietnam on July 25, 1969. I was then assigned to the 101st Airborne Division and shipped to the Central Highlands of South Vietnam, also known as Ashau Valley.

    Being in heavy artillery, I was on a 155 Artillery Howitzer and we had to shoot our guns to help the infantry. When I first got there, I was Radioman and then moved up to Assistant Gunner.

    Being with the 101st, we went on a lot of missions. One time we flew to a demilitarized zone (DMZ) and were supposed to be there two days. We got fogged in and couldn't get out for a week.

    I was at Firebase at Camp Eagle, Firebase Arsenal and Firebase Tomahawk.

    While at Firebase Tomahawk, this was getting closer to the end of my one year tour. On the night of June 9, 1970, the Vietcong got by the infantry troops and tried to overrun Firebase Tomahawk. I happened to be sitting on a bunker and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the Vietcong coming up the hill. That night, we started fighting the Vietcong at 2:00 A.M. on the morning of June 10th, and ended at around 6:30 A.M. We killed thirty-six Vietcong that night. I was awarded the Bronze Star for my bravery. I was a little over 20 years old.

    During my time in Vietnam, I went on a R&R trip to Taipei, Taiwan for one week.

    I left Vietnam on July 25, 1970 and went home for a thirty-day leave at Norfolk, Nebraska.

    In August, 1970, I went back to Fort Sill, Oklahoma and did work at motor pool and guarded the stockade.

    I was discharged February 24, 1971, after two years of service.

  • Wars Involved:
    Vietnam Era

  • MIA / POW:

  • Civilian Life:
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Agent Orange Diabetes in 2001 and I suffer hearing problems.

    I am a life member the VFW, the DAV and a member of the American Legion.

    I'm 80% disabled and am now 69 years old.

    After being discharged, I returned to Lincoln, Nebraska and worked in road construction.

    In 1974, I came up to Minnesota to visit my relatives and met my wife, Connie Dergantz. We got married on July 9, 1975 and have been married for forty-four years.

    I worked construction for a few years in the Keewatin, Minnesota area. In 1978, I went to work for Hanna Mining, which was bought out by National Steel and then in 2003, National Steel was bought out by United States Steel.

    I retired in 2009, at the age of 59, and worked thirty-one years.

    We have two children, Kimberly, age 43, and Justin, age 38, and two grandchildren from my daughter--Michael (age 16) and Sophie (age 14).

    We have a lake home we spend the summers at and we have started to travel around to different states.

  • Tribal Affiliation(s):