Skip to content
Laura Edna Foss
- Name: Laura Edna Foss
- Location of Birth: Spang Township, Itasca County, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: November 20, 1923
- Date of Death: April 23, 2002 (78 years old)
- Parents: Benjamin Foss and Agnes (Foix) Hill
- High School and Class: 1942 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: ST 3 (Sonar Technician Petty Officer 3rd Class or Steward 3rd Class Petty Officer)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Laura grew up in the Wendigo area in Itasca County, lived in Fort Riley, Kansas, Bovey, Minnesota, Howard Lake, and back to Bovey in 1951.
Laura married Forrest Foss on December 23, 1945, in Fort Riley, Kansas.
She was a custodian for the Greenway School District for 28 years, retiring in 1985.
Laura was a member of the First United Church of Coleraine and Bovey, Minnesota and its Mother's Club, the Bovey Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary, the Bovey Women of the Moose, and was a former member of the Bovey Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary.
Laura is survived by her children, Michael (Mary) Foss, William (Becky) Foss, Gerald (Helene) Foss, Jonathan (Rose) Foss, Candace (Brad) Deal, Vandla Foss, and Heide (Dan) Varin; seventeen grandchildren; seventeen great-grandchildren; two brothers, Don Hill and Lloyd (Evelyn) Hill; two sisters, Ida and Shirley.
Preceding her in death were her parents; her husband, Forrest, in 1976; and four brothers, Charles, William, Alfred and Louis Hill.
Laura died at Itasca Medical Center in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and is buried in Lakeview Cemetery at Coleraine, Minnesota. (Block 122)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):