Skip to content
Lindy "Toby" Lawrence Gardner
- Name: Lindy "Toby" Lawrence Gardner
- Location of Birth: Effie, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: August 28, 1942
- Date of Death: December 6, 1995 (53 years old)
- Parents: Raymond Walter Gardner and Inez (Stangel) Gardner
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch: United States National Guard
- Date Sworn In: October 1, 1959 (Enlistment Date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: September 19, 1962 (Release Date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Toby was a member of the United States Army from 1959 to 1962 and was with the Army National Guard until 1965.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Toby attended Bena Elementary School and schools in Deer River, Minnesota.
Toby returned to Deer River and was employed with Vacek Electric of Deer River, Rajala Timber of Deer River, was a lineman with Minnesota Power, Bagley Sodding Company, J & L Mining near Grand Rapids, Minnesota and the last 27 years was a mechanic and bulk driver with Deer River Cenex. He was a founder of the Deer River Pony League football program and a longtime official. He was a retired member of the Deer River Volunteer Fire Department and a member of the American Legion Post 122 of Deer River.
Preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Kenneth; and a grandson, Kyle, Toby is survived by his wife, Judy; two sons, Jeffrey Gardner and Chuck VanDorn; two brothers, Robert and Douglas; four sisters, Marilyn Luko, Patricia Schanen, Lois Fritz, and Gloria Root; and three grandsons.
Toby died in the Community Memorial Hospital in Deer River, Minnesota and is buried in Olivet Cemetery at Morse Township in Itasca County, Minnesota. No photo of grave marker is available at this time.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):