- Name: Lloyd Marlen Ash, Sr.
- Location of Birth: Floyd, Iowa
- Date of Birth: February 2, 1923
- Date of Death:
- Parents: Howard M. Ash and Elsie (S.A.K.) Ash
- High School and Class: 1941 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- College: 2 1/2 years in Pharmacy School at Medical College of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Highest Rank: Lieutenant Commander
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: November, 1941
- Place Sworn In: Des Moines, Iowa
- Date of Discharge: November, 1947
- Place of Discharge: Charleston, South Carolina
Units and Locations:
Start Date End Date Unit(s) and Location(s) Served November, 1941 December, 1941 United States Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, Illinois January, 1942 Hospital Corps School, Portsmouth, Virginia United States Naval Hospital, Charleston, South Carolina United States Naval Station, Norfolk, Virginia Destroyer Detail
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
My assignment to destroyer DD-684 USS Wedderburg. Enlisted from Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Sent to Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Chicago, Illinois. Then to Hospital Corps School in Norfolk, Virginia. Upon completion of course, graduated as HA2 (Hospital Corps 2), transferred to United States Naval Hospital in Charleston, South Carolina. Later (1 1/2 years) to Norfolk, Virginia and training--destroyer detail. Thence to San Francisco for DD-684 Wedderburg with Johnny Burns (Ohio). Gathered medical records for those assigned to ship. Opened new records for those not found. Also sent letters to Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in Washington, D.C. requesting records if available for temporary files. Placed a list of shipmates, officers, and enlisted in medical files for later transfers to ship upon commissioning. First medical rep to go abroad. Made some changes in main sickbay and in below deck storage. Rode the ship through retaking of Philippines, Okinawa, and into Tokoyo Bay for surrender. Retired as a Lieutenant Commander with 25 years of service.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
- Tribal Affiliation(s):