Skip to content
Neal Elmo Ellis
- Name: Neal Elmo Ellis
- Location of Birth: Deer River, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: May 24, 1920
- Date of Death: July 28, 2000 (80 years old)
- Parents: John Ellis and Ida (Eckert) Ellis
- High School and Class: 1939 - Deer River High School, Deer River, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: MOMM 3 (Motor Machinist's Mate 3rd Class Petty Officer)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Neal entered the United States Navy and served in the Pacific Theater during World War II.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Neal went to work in the shipyards in Seattle, Washington before entering the United States Navy.
Neal returned to this area after the war and worked in the iron ore mines as a mechanic, retiring from Hibbing Taconite Company in 1980.
Neal had been a wintertime resident of Weslaco, Texas for the past eighteen years.
He is survived by his wife, Ardis; four daughters, Susan Ellis, Dianne Johnson, Polly Cochran, and Joan Troumbly; four sons, John, Michael, Tim, and Dan; two sisters, Fern Hannula and Patricia Schwockert; a brother, Dean; twenty-six grandchildren and twenty-seven great-grandchildren.
Preceding him in death were his parents; a sister, Garnet Bendix; and a brother, Robert.
Neal died at his home and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot C-C-24-02)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):