Skip to content
Norbert “Shorty” W. Harms
- Name: Norbert "Shorty" W. Harms
- Location of Birth: Young America, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: September 30, 1929
- Date of Death: July 23, 2003 (73 years old)
- Parents: Helmuth Harms and Elizabeth (Thran) Harms
- High School and Class: 1948 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: A2C (Airman 2nd Class)
- Branch: Air Force
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
Units and Locations:
||Unit(s) and Location(s) Served
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Enlisted and served in the Air Force from 1950-1954 as a draftsman.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Norbert "Shorty" W. Harms married Arlyce Schrupp on September 18, 1954.
He worked on the family farm in Harris Township and was employed at Blandin Paper Company in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. He also was a building contractor. He was elected as an Itasca County commissioner from 1968-1972. He served on the Itasca County Fair Board, was a member of the Cap Baker Lions Club and was an active member of the First Lutheran Church of Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
He is survived by his wife, Arlyce; two sons, David (Joni, Chad and Josh Woods), and Timothy (Pamela); one daughter, Susan (Charles) Carlson; one sister, Lucille (Don) Kleinendorst; one brother, Clifford (Nadene); and five grandchildren.
Preceded him in death were his parents in 1989.
Buried in Harris Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot 18.104.22.168.)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):