Skip to content
Peter "Pete" S. Donnell
- Name: Peter "Pete" S. Donnell
- Location of Birth: Mahnomen, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: September 17, 1912
- Date of Death: August 13, 2009 (96 years old)
- Parents: Louis Donnell and Agnes (Thomas) Donnell
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank: S SGT (Staff Sergeant)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Pete was a decorated United States Army Veteran of World War II who served in the Philippines.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Pete retired from the Minnesota State Highway Department in 1975.
He was an avid sportsman who shot his last deer at the young age of 94, and had one scored in the Minnesota state record book when he was 74.
His parents, five brothers, Tony, Ditto, Farmer, Leonard, and Ed, a grandson, Peter Zika; Peter Zika's grandmother, Elaine King, and a great-great-granddaughter, Mariah Olson preceded him in death.
Survivors include his wife, Genevieve; his children, Kay (Alan) Zika, Dennis (Mary), Marlene (Joe) Bocinsky, Alvin (Teresa), and Jenine (Tim) Oakley; fifteen grandchildren; twenty great-grandchildren; and twenty great-great-grandchildren.
Peter died at Grand Village in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-G-18-17)
- Tribal Affiliation(s): White Earth Band of Ojibwe