Skip to content
Philip Lewis Councilman
- Name: Philip Lewis Councilman
- Location of Birth: Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: October 8, 1925
- Date of Death: September 15, 2007 (81 years old)
- Parents: Arthur Councilman and Felice (Berard) Councilman
- High School and Class: attended schools in Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: EM 3 (Electrician's Mate Petty Officer 3rd Class)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Philip served in the United States Navy during World War II and witnessed the fourth atomic bomb detonated on the island of Bikini Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Philip married Shirley Corey on May 20, 1950 in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
He worked for Coca Cola Bottling Company and retired from Blandin Paper Company.
Philip was a member of the American Legion for 60 years.
He was preceded in death by his parents and sisters, Adelle (Sparber), Erna (Hinegardner), Marion (Lessman), Ens (Smith) and a brother, Truman.
Philip is survived by his wife, Shirley; sister, Viola (Lehman); sons, Daryl, Steven (Faye) and Mark; daughters, Debra, Tamra (Doug) Anrig; and Julie (Scott) Petersen; two granddaughters; two step-grandsons; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Philip died at Grand Itasca Hospital in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-G-08-3-1)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):