Skip to content
Phyllis "Jonesie" A. deGroot
- Name: Phyllis "Jonesie" A. deGroot
- Location of Birth: Brainerd, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: March 21, 1919
- Date of Death: April 11, 2001 (82 years old)
- Parents: Oscar Jones and Myrtle (Boynton) Jones
- High School and Class: Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Following graduation from Grand Rapids High School, she was employed by Blandin Paper Company before enlisting in the Waves. After the Waves, she made her home in Seattle, Washington.
Phyllis was a member of American Legion Post 204 and Pacific Northwest Waves.
She is survived by a daughter, Teri Pickering; a son, Bill (Sherri) deGroot; four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; a brother and sister-in-law, Bert L. and Mary Jones; a sister-in-law, Betty O'Brien; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Preceding her in death were her parents; her husband, William E. deGroot; a brother, Ray B. Jones; sisters, Shirley Jones, Mrs. Orva Jellison, Mrs. Dorothy Jellison, and Mrs. Ethel Fuller.
Phyllis is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery at Seattle, Washington.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):