Skip to content
Raymond "Ray" William Garberding
- Name: Raymond "Ray" William Garberding
- Location of Birth: Goodland, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: May 26, 1917
- Date of Death: January 18, 2008 (90 years old)
- Parents: William and Ida Garberding
- High School and Class: 1934 - Grand Rapids High School, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: S2 (Seaman 2nd Class)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Ray served in the United States Navy, mostly in the South Pacific as a sea plane tender.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Ray married Olga Lesar in 1937 and they resided in Remer and Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
After his service years, he enjoyed playing baseball. He also coached baseball and was an umpire and referee. Ray enjoyed hunting and fishing with his family and many friends. He was an active member of First Evangelical Lutheran Church and a dedicated member of the Bible classes and men's club. He was a member of the VFW.
Preceding him death were his parents; his wife of 67 years, Olga; and a grandson, Timothy Garberding.
Ray is survived by a son, James (Margaret); a daughter, M. Morguine Avalon; seven grandchildren; fourteen great-grandchildren; and four great-great grandchildren.
Ray died at Wendigo Pines in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (I-C-30-14)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):