Skip to content
Robert "Bob" Dean Esser
- Name: Robert "Bob" Dean Esser
- Location of Birth: Mason City, Iowa
- Date of Birth: October 12, 1932
- Date of Death: July 23, 2005 (72 years old)
- Parents: Henry Esser and Esther (Erickson) Esser
- High School and Class:
- College: Graduated from the NCO Academy in Merced, California.
- Highest Rank:
- Branch: Air Force
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: December 6, 1948 (Enlistment Date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: December 30, 1968 (Release Date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
While in the military, Bob was awarded the:
Air Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters
USAF Commendation Medal
Korean Service Ribbon with four Battle Stars
Vietnamese Service Medal
South Korean Presidential Unit Citation
- Military Highlights:
Bob was a 20-year veteran of the United States Air Force who flew missions totaling 5,000 hours during the Vietnam Era and the Korean Conflict
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Bob attended schools in Grand Rapids, Minnesota .
After retiring from the military, he moved to Grand Rapids, Minnesota where he was employed for twenty years as a union painter until his retirement.
Bob was passionate about the outdoors and northern Minnesota. He enjoyed his annual goose hunting trips to Saskatchewan and fishing trips to Lake of the Woods.
Bob was preceded in death by an infant daughter, Erin, and his parents.
He is survived by his wife, Eileen (McCormick) Esser; three daughters, Heather Koop (Michael), Tara Casper, and Coleen Tweten (Tim); one sister, Mary Lou Mattson; and eight grandchildren.
Bob died at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Fargo, North Dakota. No burial information available at this time.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):