- Name: Robert "Bob" William Salmi
- Location of Birth: Eveleth, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: November 12, 1931
- Date of Death: September 3, 2004 (72 years old)
- Parents: Gust Salmi and Lempi (Herjpe) Salmi
- High School and Class: 1949 - Eveleth High School, Eveleth, Minnesota
- College: Eveleth Junior College, Eveleth, Minnesota
Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan
- Highest Rank: SFC (Sergeant First Class)
- Other Branch: United States Army National Guard
- Date Sworn In: January 16, 1951
- Place Sworn In: Eveleth, Minnesota
- Date of Discharge: September 27, 1952
- Place of Discharge: Fort Lawton, Washington
Units and Locations:
Start Date End Date Unit(s) and Location(s) Served November, 1951 August, 1952 Company C, 9th Infantry Division, Korea
- Military Awards:
Korean War Service Medal
UN Service Medal (United Nations Service Medal)
Combat Infantry Badge
- Military Highlights:
Bob served in Korea during the Korean Conflict with the United States Army National Guard
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
On October 1, 1960, Bob was married to Dorothy Maki in Cloquet, Minnesota and lived in Monroeville, Pennsylvania for a year before returning to Northern Minnesota and settling in Mountain Iron, Minnesota and later Britt, Minnesota. His wife, Dorothy, died in October, 1978 and he and his family moved to Grand Rapids in December, 1978.
During Bob's career with U.S. Steel, he developed several patented ideas while working at Pilotac, Minntac, and the Coleraine Minerals Research Lab in Coleraine, Minnesota. Bob retired from U.S. Steel in 1985 and then received his realtor license in 1986, working for Century 21 - Land of Lakes Realty. He retired in 2002.
On June 11, 1980, Bob was married to Nancy (Peterson) Brandt in Virginia, Minnesota.
As an active member of Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, in Grand Rapids, Minnesota he was a past president of the church council, a member of the Social Ministry Committee, a lay lector and also a prayer reader. Bob was a member of the Itasca Gun Club and he also delivered Meals on Wheels which was a job he dearly loved.
In addition to his parents and his first wife, Bob was preceded in death by a sister, Vivian Anderson; and a brother, Theodore "Ted" Salmi.
Bob is survived by his wife, Nancy, a daughter Virginia Lynn (Stewart) Cran, a son Robert James "Bob" (Stacy Butenhoff), and a granddaughter Amanda Cran.
Bob died at St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth, Minnesota and is buried in Mount Salem Cemetery at Mahtowa in Carlton County.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):