Skip to content
Rudolph "Rudy" G. Zagar, Sr.
- Name: Rudolph "Rudy" G. Zagar Sr.
- Location of Birth: Nashwauk, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: December 19, 1920
- Date of Death: September 11, 2005 (84 years old)
- Parents: Peter and Katherine Zagar
- High School and Class: 1939 - Nashwauk High School, Nashwauk, Minnesota
- College: Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: SGT (Sergeant)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch: United States Army Air Forces
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Rudolph served his country with the 10th Group Air Force, 12th Bombardment Squadron Group during World War II. He survived 61 missions flying over the China Burma India (World War II Theater of War).
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Rudolph played French horn for the Nashwauk City Band, in Nashwauk, Minnesota.
He retired in 1980 from Honeywell after 20 years as a maintenance foreman.
Rudy and his wife, Betty, raised their eight children in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. After retiring, they enjoyed twenty wonderful years together spending their summers on Swan and Leech Lakes, and winters in McAllen, Texas. In 2001, they returned to Minnesota year-round. He enjoyed spending time with his family and being outdoors hunting, fishing, and golfing.
Rudy was preceded in death by his son, Rudy, Jr.; daughter, Mary Noel; great grandsons, Adam and Noah; his parents, and thirteen older brothers and sisters.
He is survived by his beloved wife of 59 years, Betty Jane (Fix); children, John (Toby) Zagar, Joan (Larry) Lobitz, Robert Zagar, Katie (Tom) Nelson, Carol (Joe) Korte, and Margie (Robert) Burns; eighteen grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Rudy died at Douglas County Hospital in Alexandria, Minnesota and is buried in the Nashwauk Cemetery at Nashwauk, Minnesota.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):