Skip to content
Shirley Mae Johnson
- Name: Shirley Mae Johnson
- Location of Birth: Coleraine Minnesota
- Date of Birth: July 29 1924
- Date of Death: March 27 2000
- Parents: Fred K. Johnson & Charoltte Thomas Johnson
- High School and Class: 1942 Greenway High School, Coleraine Minesota
- College: 1946-1947, Itasca Junior College, Coleraine MN
1947-1950 Briercrest Bible College
1950- 1953 Bethesda Hospital School of Nursing
- Highest Rank: SP2 (Specialist 2nd Class Petty Officer)
- Branch: Navy
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: July 29 1944
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: July 31 1946
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Shirley Mae Johnson was a U.S. Navy Wave serving from July 1944 to July 1946.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Obituary: Shirley M. Johnson, 75, Grand Rapids , died Monday March 27, 2000 in Leisure Hills Health Care Center.
She was born July 29, 1924 to Fred K. and Charlotte Thomas Johnson, grew up in Coleraine and Trout Lake areas, and was a 1942 graduate of Greenway High School. She attended Itasca Junior College from 1946 - 1947, the Briercrest Bible College from 1947 - 1950 and the Bethesda Hospital School of Nursing from 1950 -1953. She worked as a registered nurse in various hospitals in Minnesota including the Itasca Medical Center, Grand Rapids and the Bethesda Children's Hospital and Riverview Hospital in St. Paul. She lived in Twin Cities Bemidji, and Park Rapids are prior to moving to Grand Rapids. After her retirement, she was a camp nurse at Camp Hiawatha. She was a U.S. Navy Wave serving from July 1944 to July 1946.
She is survived by a sister Lois Polzin, Grand Rapids ad special friend Donna Sutton.
Preceding her in death were her parents, Fred and Charlotte Johnson and a brother Walter Johnson.
Funeral was Wednesday March 29 at 3 pm at Grace Bible Chapel with Reverend Abe Cardosa officiating, burial in Lakeview Cemetery, Coleraine Minnesota.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):