- Name: Terence "Terry" Walter Kangas
- Location of Birth: Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: February 10, 1944
- Date of Death:
- Parents: Walter Kangas and Shirley (Ranger) Kangas
- High School and Class: 1962 Greenway High School, Coleraine, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: SGT (Sergeant) E5
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: June 5, 1965
- Place Sworn In: Fort Knox, Kentucky
- Date of Discharge: June 7, 1967
- Place of Discharge: Fort Hood, Texas
Units and Locations:
Start Date End Date Unit(s) and Location(s) Served June, 1965 August, 1965 Basic training - Fort Knox, Kentucky August, 1965 October, 1965 Advanced Infantry Training - Fort Ord, California November, 1965 December, 1966 2nd Infantry Division - Korea DMZ January, 1967 June, 1967 2nd Armored Battalion"Hell on Wheels" Fort Hood, Texas June, 1967 June, 1971 Reserves: Honorable Discharge
- Military Awards:
Rifle Sharpshooter - missed "Expert" by one target!
Machine Gun Expert
National Defense Service Medal
- Military Highlights:
Before going to Korea, we were in line and every other person went to Korea.
Arrived in Korea in November, 1965. Served with Company B, Second Infantry Battalion.
Pulled guard duty on the DMZ. Then after four months, they needed a clerk who knew how to type for S-2 (Intel and Security), which handles all the secret documents. I had taken typing in school, so I worked in the office the rest of my time in Korea. No more guard duty. Then after six months, our company moved south from the DMZ. The office and Sergeant rotated back to the States and I was in charge of S-2. Home for Christmas (December, 1966). Went to Ford Hood, Texas here I worked in company office making out training schedules each week for the new recruits. I made Sergeant E-5 in Texas and was discharged on June 7, 1967.
- Wars Involved:
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
- Tribal Affiliation(s):