Skip to content
Wendell Charlie Croom
- Name: Wendell Charlie Croom
- Location of Birth: Bolton, North Carolina
- Date of Birth: July 4, 1916
- Date of Death: November 14, 1995 (79 years old)
- Parents: Oscar Croom and Minnie (Carr) Croom
- High School and Class:
- Highest Rank: LT COL (Lieutenant Colonel)
- Branch: Air Force
- Other Branch:
- Date Sworn In: November 29, 1939 (Enlistment Date)
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge: August 31, 1960 (Discharge Date)
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Wendell made a career in the military. He was an Air Force pilot, flying B-17s during World War II. He retired with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Wendell grew up and attended school in Bolton, North Carolina. He attended two years of college in North Carolina.
In May, 1972, Wendell was united in marriage to Sadie Ford in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
He was a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion Post, both of Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
Preceded in death by his first wife, Phyllis, a son, Clifton A. Croom, in 1981, an a brother, Clifton, killed in action in World War II; he is survived by his wife, Sadie; a son, Wendell; two stepsons, Philip Croom and James Ford; a stepdaughter, Peggy Neubauer; a brother, Delwin; and eleven grandchildren.
Wendell died at Itasca Medical Center in Grand Rapids, Minnesota and is buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-G-05-0-2)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):