Skip to content
William "Bill" Douglas Gillis
- Name: William "Bill" Douglas Gillis
- Location of Birth: Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Date of Birth: May 23, 1927
- Date of Death: July 2, 2012 (85 years old)
- Parents: Bruce and Mable Gillis
- High School and Class: 1945 - Rochester High School, Rochester, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: CE1 (Construction Electrician Petty Officer First Class or Construction Electrician's Mate Petty Officer First Class)
- Branch: Air Force
- Other Branch: United States Navy
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
Bill served in the military where he began his service in Germany in the United States Air Force for four years and later served twenty yeas in the United States Navy and Seabees.
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
Bill settled in Greeley, Colorado and he and Elna had five children.
Moving to Billings, Montana in the 1960s, Bill also worked for and retired from the Exxon Refinery before retiring to Talmoon, Minnesota where he lived since 1984.
Bill enjoyed gardening, the forest and all aspects of life in Northern Minnesota.
He is preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Robert.
Bill is survived by his wife, Elna; a daughter, Debra Everett; four sons, Steven, David, Peter, and Jeffrey; nine grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Bill is buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Itasca County, Minnesota.
- Tribal Affiliation(s):