Skip to content
William "Bill" F. Bartos
- Name: William "Bill" F. Bartos
- Location of Birth: Chicago, lllinois
- Date of Birth: May 17, 1912
- Date of Death: June 26, 2003 (91 years old)
- Parents: Martin and Mary Bartos
- High School and Class: 1930 - Deer River High School, Deer River, Minnesota
- Highest Rank: SGT (Sergeant)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch: United States Army Air Corps
- Date Sworn In:
- Place Sworn In:
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge:
- Military Awards:
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
William moved to the Wirt area in Itasca County, Minnesota at age 8. During World War II, he served in the United States Army Air Corps. On December 28, 1943, Bill was married to Loretta Gray, an Army nurse in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Following the war, they moved back to the Wirt area for several years and then moved to Eddyille, Iowa, where Loretta's parents lived to help them with the farm. In 1962, they moved to Wabana Township in Itasca County, Minnesota where he farmed and worked in the iron mines.
He served 15 years as Wabana Township supervisor and was a member of the American Legion in Lawrence Lake.
Preceding him in death were his parents; his wife, Loretta; daughter Frances (James) King; son Edward; and brother Charles.
He is survived by a granddaughter, Christine Bartos and a son-in-law, James King.
Buried in Itasca Calvary Cemetery at Grand Rapids, Minnesota. (Plot I-G-05-0-6)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):