Skip to content
William Lee Knudsen
- Name: William Lee Knudsen
- Location of Birth: Ishpeming, Michigan
- Date of Birth: October 17, 1924
- Date of Death: April 12, 2008 (83 years old)
- Parents: Archie Knudsen and Ruth (Curphy) Knudsen
- High School and Class: 1942 - Ishpeming High School
- College: Northern Michigan University
- Highest Rank: SGT (Sergeant)
- Branch: Army
- Other Branch: United States Army Air Forces
- Date Sworn In: December 8, 1942
- Place Sworn In: Marquette, Michigan
- Date of Discharge:
- Place of Discharge: Fort Sheridan, Illinois
- Military Awards:
Meritorious Unit Award
Good Conduct Medal
American Theater Ribbon
Asiatic Pacific Theater Ribbon
- Military Highlights:
- Wars Involved:
World War II
- MIA / POW:
- Civilian Life:
William served his country for four years. Following his discharge, he worked for Jones and Laughlin Steel in Michigan before being transferred to the Lind Greenway Mine in Coleraine, Minnesota where he was the general plant foreman until his retirement in 1980.
In addition to his parents, William is preceded in death by one brother, Donald, two nephews and one brother-in-law.
Survived by his loving wife of 50 years, Marjorie (Beauchamp) Knudsen; one daughter, Kelly Ann Knudsen and her finace' Daniel Weinberger; two sons, David Lee and wife Jayn and Gregory Scott; one brother, John (Carol); one brother-in-law and two sisters-in-law; and several nephews and nieces.
In 2006, Bill and Marge were blessed with the birth of their only grandchild, Kendra Lee Knudsen.
William died at Evergreen Terrace in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. He is buried at Fort Snelling National Cemetery (Section 26, Site 2197)
- Tribal Affiliation(s):